Jewish Art Salon – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Listing Events 2. Images for Social Media 3. Membership 4. Updating Profile Page 5. Miscellaneous
1a. Listings (for non-members).
Non-members may submit listings for major events where JAS members are participating, or any opportunity / call for art or artists. Follow directions mentioned below in 2b.
1b. Listings (for members): what, how to, and when
Q: I have a major event coming up. Will this be posted on the Jewish Art Salon website?
We reserve the website for special occasions only. We therefore strongly encourage you to post in our Facebook group. Occasionally, on our website or in our newsletter we may list some of the following:
Member’s solo show in prestigious museums or galleries
Exhibitions that feature a substantial number of JAS members
Noteworthy awards, publications, press mentions, book signings, presentations, etc.
Listings are created at the discretion of the webmaster. Our capacity is limited. We apologize that we cannot list all submissions.
HOW TO LIST:
If you are listed in our member directory: email us the following info in one email, 3-4 weeks in advance.
For time-sensitive listings, such as an article in the press, for which you had no advance notice, we will do our best to list it much sooner. In that case your subject line should be: Urgent Listing.
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line 3 items, the type of event, followed by your name, followed by the date of the event: “(Your Name)” “Event Name” Event date
- In email body (not an attachment): info / press release written in the 3rd person:
– short description of the event or the artwork (if it is an exhibition)
– background info, dates, address, any other pertinent info
– URL link to the venue
– if possible, a URL link to the event.
– In case we want to post an image on Instagram: provide your IG handle @
- Web-ready images: 72 dpi, no larger than 1000 pixels on the largest side. Label the image with your name.
- Include an announcement graphic, if available, and several images, labeled with your name in the title.
a) Do not send us info by Constant Contact or Mailchimp. We cannot extract the images and text from those types of emails. Any future emails to that address sent by Constant Contact or Mailchimp will be unsubscribed.
b) Do not send images in separate emails. All info needs to be in one email.
c) Do not send a link to download images. All images need to be attached to the email, unless it is a large Pdf of a catalog, manuscript or such.
If the submitted materials do not follow the guidelines they will not be considered for publication. We regret not being able to notify you about the reason for not being published, due to time constraints.
Also, we will not be able to answer artists’ questions. However, art professionals (curators, art writers, etc.) are invited to inquire, since their submissions may differ in content or format.
Regardless of placement on our website, you should always post your event in our Facebook Group
We reserve the right to select which events will be posted on the website or newsletter.
Q: I am a member; how do I list my event if it does not qualify placement on the website?
EVERY member should post their event in our Facebook group “Friends of the Jewish Art Salon”, regardless of whether it may be listed on our website as well.
Only current Salon members in good standing can post in the FB group. See also the next question.
Q: Which listings on Facebook will be rejected?
A) Listings that feature artwork without the context of a current or upcoming exhibition or other noteworthy event. In other words, do not post images saying “My most recent painting” or “For sale”, or “This artwork was just sold”.
B) Fundraising requests for organizations or people other than yourself.
C) Negative or snarky comments.
I am not a member; can I list my event?
If you have a Call for Art, or another opportunity that may interest our members, email us with info at email@example.com A URL link and jpeg are appreciated, in addition to the opportunity info. These we will usually post.
We cannot post any other events by non-members.
3. Images for JAS Social Media (for Members only)
Q: How can I submit images for JAS social media?
- Send us your images anytime, but time-sensitive images (Shabbat, holidays, rituals) at least 2 – 4 weeks in advance. Sometimes we can accommodate late entries, but usually we schedule social media posts weeks ahead of time.
- Email address for images: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ONE email per image. For instance, if you have 3 images for the same holiday, send 3 separate emails.
- Subject line: “name of holiday, or other lifecycle event” ( fill in appropriate name) one image per email.
- Image files need to have your name saved (e.g. brian.schwartz_purim).
- In the email body, not in attachment:
– Title of work, name of artist, medium,
– Sentence / short paragraph in the 3rd person about the artwork.
– Your Instagram handle if you have an IG account: @
– Your Facebook handle if you have a FB account: @
- Jpegs need to be 72 dpi and not smaller than 400 kb and not larger than 1.5 MB.
We can only accommodate those who submit images according to the above instructions.
Our social media team will make the selection from the entries. We hold on to all submissions; those not selected this year might be featured the following year.
4. About Membership
What is the Jewish Art Salon?
We are a 501.c.3 non-profit organization serving visual artists and art professionals interested and working in contemporary Jewish visual art.
We have an office space, but do not have our own gallery.
We are invited by museums and galleries to organize art exhibitions and art events in their venues. We also provide important resources to our members.
Our office is in New York City, our members are worldwide.
See more info and member benefits here. Currently we only accept submissions for Emerging Artists/Art Professionals and Student Fellows.
Associate Artists and Fellow Artist categories are closed for applications until further notice.
5. Updating your Profile Page (for Fellows and Art Professionals)
How can I select the categories pertaining to my artwork or profession?
Email to: email@example.com
Subject line: Categories.
View the Art Categories page and email us which categories you want to be listed under.
Do not include any other info or images in your categories email.
How can I update my photos and bio?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org as follows:
In the subject line: Profile
In the body of the email (not an attachment) your bio written in the 3rd person.
If you send images, save them as 72 dpi, (no smaller than 300 kb; no larger then 1 MB), with your name in the file.
I have a Gmail account; J.A.S. emails get marked as spam, or end up in the Promotions tab (or I don’t receive them).
To prevent this from happening add our email address email@example.com to your contact list. You can also add a filter to your account to never send JAS emails to spam. MORE INFO
If our emails still end up in your Gmail Promotions tab, click on the email and drag it into the Inbox tab. When asked if you want to continue receiving the emails in your inbox click “yes”.